The United States Environmental Protection Agency (“EPA”) Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance issued a March 2022 document titled:
Compliance Tips for Small Wastewater Treatment Lagoons with Clean Water Act Discharge Permits (“Advisory”)
See EPA Document # 305F22002
The Advisory was developed by the State/EPA NPDES SNC National Compliance Initiative workgroup.
The stated objective is to assist owners and operators of small publicly and privately owned lagoon wastewater treatment plants (“WWTPs”) to comply with the law. This is due to the fact EPA states:
. . . of the facilities in recent “significant noncompliance” (SNC) with their Clean Water Act National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit, approximately 60 percent are WWTPs.
The Advisory provides information regarding lagoon WWTP noncompliance such as:
- Causes of noncompliance
- Potential solutions to noncompliance
Information in the Advisory is divided into three components which include:
- Wastewater Lagoon Overview
- Background on Troubleshooting Topics
- Solutions to Underlying Causes of Wastewater Lagoon Effluent Violations
The Advisory also provides references to:
- Compliance Assistance Resources
- Potential Funding and Financing Sources
- General References and Webinars
A copy of the Advisory can be downloaded here.